We use some essential cookies to make this website work.
We’d like to set additional cookies to understand how you use GOV.UK, remember your settings and improve government services.
We also use cookies set by other sites to help us deliver content from their services.
You can change your cookie settings at any time.
Find information and services
Search for a department and find out what the government is doing
Departments, agencies and public bodies
News stories, speeches, letters and notices
Detailed guidance, regulations and rules
Reports, analysis and official statistics
Consultations and strategy
Data, Freedom of Information releases and corporate reports
Get help to classify herbal medicines, vitamins, food preparations, supplements and tonics for import and export.
This guidance refers to chapters and headings in the UK Global Online Tariff. If you’re importing goods into Northern Ireland, or if this guidance does not include your item, read more information.
This guidance covers products often referred to as:
They’re classified by:
When classifying medicinal preparations, particularly in chapter 30, the following terms may apply:
Heading 2936 specifically covers:
Separately defined organic compounds, like vitamins, must comply with strict conditions specifying which additives are allowed to be classified in chapter 29.
They can be dissolved in water (or in some other solvent), but the solution must only be used where it’s required for safety reasons or transport purposes.
Stabilisers (such as anti-caking agents) and specified additives (such as antioxidants) can be added, but only to preserve the vitamin compound or for transport purposes.
Vitamin products will not be classified under heading 2936 if added ingredients:
Vitamin products for use as food supplements, in individual capsules, tablets or caplets, are classified as food preparations under 2106.
Products classified as food preparations under heading 2106 include:
Products that do not treat, cure or prevent diseases or ailments are generally classified as food preparations, and so are classified under this heading.
Tonics and liquid food supplements intended for immediate consumption are covered in chapter 22. These products contain added vitamins or iron compounds and are designed to maintain general health or well-being. They’re generally covered under one of the following headings:
Animal feed supplements that contain vitamins and other ingredients (such as cereals and proteins) are classified in heading 2309.
This heading excludes vitamins intended for general use, where only permitted substances (such as stabilisers) are added to them. These are classified in heading 2936 – see Vitamins and provitamins.
Products used to treat or prevent diseases or ailments are classified in heading 3003 or 3004. They may be used:
Products used to maintain general health and well-being are specifically excluded from chapter 30.
Medicinal preparations made up into measured doses (such as ampoules, syringes or capsules) are classified under heading 3004. Heading 3004 also covers the retail sale of:
These products must include specific information for consumers on their labels or packaging, or on accompanying user directions. This information must show the:
Where the product is for maintaining general health or well-being, it must include a much higher level of vitamins and minerals than the recommended daily allowance.
An RDA is set for certain vitamins and minerals. The RDA is the minimum amount needed by the body to remain healthy. The following table on nutrition labelling of foodstuffs sets out the RDA for a range of vitamins and minerals:
If this guidance covers your item, you’ll still need to look up the full commodity code to use in your declaration on the appropriate tariff.
If a specific item is not covered in detail and you’re importing goods into Great Britain, you can search for it in the Online Trade Tariff.
If you’re importing goods into Northern Ireland from outside the UK, and the EU and the goods are not ‘at risk’ of onward movement to the EU, you should also use the Online Trade Tariff.
If you’re importing goods into Northern Ireland from outside the UK and the EU, and the goods are at risk of onward movement to the EU, you should use the Northern Ireland (EU) Tariff.
Get more help to find a commodity code.
Check what you need to do
Book your coronavirus vaccination and booster dose on the NHS website
Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.
To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. We’ll send you a link to a feedback form. It will take only 2 minutes to fill in. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *